Saturday, May 26, 2012

Barbecue Sauce and more...

I have been behind on my "stash" in the freezer, until this morning.  I have been productive.  I started by going to the grocery store.  I planned on making Slow-Cooker Sloppy Joes, a double batch.  I plan may serve them on Monday (Labor Day), or not.  If I don't serve them then, I will have 2 batches in the freezer for other times. 

You see, planning ahead is fantastic for the school year, when I am working and need some ready to go suppers in the freezer.  However, planning ahead is even better in the summer, when I plan to be out and about with the kids and having fun.  No one wants to stop their fun...not even adults!

Since I purchased the large club pack of ground beef, I made a meat sauce that will also go into the freezer.  That is a possible 3 meals in the freezer (in case you are keeping count).

And, just in case you thought I was finished...

Tomorrow, Sunday, begins our summer tradition of "Sunny Sunday".  A close group of family/friends gather each week at my Aunt's pool.  We all bring food and drinks.  All winter long, we reminisce about past "sunny Sunday's" and plan for future "sunny Sunday's".  Tomorrow, I am bringing... barbecue ribs (see bbq sauce recipe below), scalloped potatoes with tomatoes and bell peppers, and red velvet cheesecake.  The cheesecake is baking as I type. The ribs have a dry rub on them and are waiting until tomorrow to slowly cook in a moderate oven and I will prep the potatoes before leaving.  I may make more...if the spirit moves me (and it usually does).

I made three batches of the barbecue sauce and froze two batches. 

Barbecue Sauce

1 12 oz. bottle chili sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons brown sugar (preferable dark brown sugar)
3 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons bourbon
2 tablespoons mustard (I use whatever kind I have on hand)
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
pepper sauce, as much as you prefer
1 teaspoon liquid smoke

Mix all ingredients together.  Use on chicken, pork. or beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment