Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Eating from the freezer- Day 1

I am a food hoarder. I admit it. My pantry and freezer are usually overflowing. I do have 2 refrigerator/freezers and one standing freezer. My rationale: the appliances are more energy efficient if they are full. I realize that this is not entirely normal. At the same time, I do cook a lot at one time and like to be ready for an impromptu party. Of course, there comes a time when I have to clean up my mess.

Here's the challenge: eat from the freezer and pantry. I will have to grocery shop for perishables: lettuce, milk, etc. I will allow myself to purchase some items that I am out of and usually use: balsamic vinegar, maple syrup. Otherwise, make as much as I can from what I already have.

Today, we had a marinate flank steak. I used a store bought lemon pepper marinade that was in the pantry. That went on the grill.

Potatoes also went on the grill.

The best part of the meal was grilled vegetables. Here's how I did them.

Parmesan grilled vegetables

Broccoli, cut into florets
Red pepper and green pepper, cut into quarters, no seeds
Frozen corn (i used what ever was left in the bag)
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Parmesan cheese

Place the broccoli and peppers onto a grill pan (one without holes). Coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on grill. After about 10 minutes, stir corn onto grill pan. Grill for 5 minutes and top with Parmesan cheese. Grill until cheese is melted.

Not only did it taste good, it looked great!

No comments:

Post a Comment