Friday, December 11, 2009

Vegetable Philosophy

There are a few books and articles about "sneaking" vegetables into the food children eat. Sometimes, perhaps, this may be a good idea. Generally, I think a better approach is to prepare the vegetables (and other new foods) in a way that children will accept them. Let me be honest here, I do not have an appreciation for brussel sprouts. Yet. By preparing a small serving, adding a sauce or dip, or developing the natural sugars in the vegetables, children will be less reluctant to try. They only need a few bites at first. And at least three presentations of the vegetable. Yes, there are children who are more picky than other children. There are children who have not been presented with the opportunity to try certain vegetables (mine have not been presented with brussel sprouts because I rarely prepare them.) That is all normal. But why lie!

If you are willing to try something new, your children will will also try something new. I'm planning on preparing a salad with brussel sprouts for Christmas Eve dinner. Keep posted, I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment