Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Buffalo Chicken

Wednesdays are very busy for us and it is hard to figure out when we are going to eat. Usually, it is a snack before activities and the "real" food when everyone gets home. Sometimes I make the "real" food early, everyone eats as ready, and dessert (sometimes healthy, sometimes not) is when everyone gets home.

Tonight, we snacked first and then ate the real meal later. One reason is because I went for a late lunch with girlfriends and since I was not hungry, I didn't want to cook as early.

I made buffalo chicken with bonless chicken breasts (chicken tenders will work well, as will chicken wings, and shrimp). It is my original recipe for the buffalo sauce. Here it is:

6 ounces hot sauce
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup dark brown sugar (light brown will also work)
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon each of garlic powder, cumin, paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like)

Mix all ingredients in a saucepan until the flavors blend. Once finished, pour over the almost baked chicken and heat through so that the sauce becomes part of the chicken.

I usually dredge the chicken in flour seasoned with salt and pepper and bake it for about 15 minutes before putting on the sauce to complete cooking. Once, I tried this part in the crock pot and it worked. I set the chicken and sauce on low for about two hours. Make sure to check so that the chicken does not dry out.

Sometimes I make fries to accompany this meal, but tonight, just carrots and celery. And bleu cheese of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment