Sunday, January 31, 2010

Getting Ready

All of my weeks are busy, but this one will be a little more than the usual. I start working on the school play. I help with the choreography and I have to incorporate two practices this week into the schedule. I am getting ready by making some meals today and prepping for meals that can be put into the crock pot in the morning.

First is marinara sauce. I used some canned tomatoes, onions, garlic, and basil. This sauce will be a "go to" for the kids if needed, used in the Italian sausage soup, and the sauce for chicken cacciatore.

I made Italian sausage soup using a recipe I received on a flyer enclosed with our wine club selection for the month. Since we have some time to sit and eat in a relaxed manner tonight, I will serve the soup with the wine. Salad and good bread equals a good dinner.

It has been extremely cold the past few days which is probably why I am making soup and chili. I have used this Gameday Chili recipe for years. It is a reliable recipe and the product freezes well. I will keep half for dinner this week and freeze half.

Another recipe that I have collected is sweet and sour meatballs. I haven't make them in a long time. I cook the meatballs in the oven, thus reducing fat, and freeze them separately from the sauce. When I am ready to serve them, I defrost and heat both and combine over rice.

I would also like to make a dessert, but I'm not sure if I have the time. Keep posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment