Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mona's Grilled Potatoes

The trouble with jr football and cheerleading practice is that we either have to eat dinner early, about 4pm or late, about 8:30pm. I prefer to eat dinner between 5:30 and 6:30. Those of you with busy kids know that you are not in charge of you dinner time. Last night, the kids came in starving. I had turkey burgers ready (and they loved them!) and Mona's potato packets. The potato packets got their name because of my neighbor's mom. I had been making potatoes on the grill like this for quite a while. One night, my neighbor noticed them and asked my if his mom gave me her recipe. She did not, but I used the name.

Mona’s Grilled Potatoes

6 white potatoes, sliced
½ red onion, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 stick butter
Aluminum foil, preferably heavy duty

Place the potatoes, covered in water, in a leak proof container. Place the onions, green pepper, and garlic in ziptop bags (one bag for all will work fine). Place all food and butter in a cooler.

When ready to grill, drain the potatoes very well. Layer the potatoes, onions, green peppers, and garlic on top of a large sheet of aluminum foil. Dot the butter on top. Fold the foil into a packet that seals the potatoes.

Place the foil packet over indirect heat on the grill. Do not test the potatoes for at least 25 minutes. Be careful of the steam that will escape when the foil packet is opened.


No comments:

Post a Comment